"Surviving the Confederacy" John Waugh
Old Movie Fan
2007-11-29 16:29:08 UTC
Just finished this fact filled story of Sara and Roger Pryor's
experiences before and during the Civil War. Roger was a Congressman
from Virginia living in Washington before Lincoln's election. Much of
the story is told from a woman's view using several diaries for
reference.
It's an interesting read because it gives a "you are there"
perspective, that's told by the people who actually lived through the
experience. Some of the details about the Emancipation Proclamation
weren't quite right, but perhaps Sara didn't actually see the document,
but only heard rumors about the document. If that's not the case, the
writer needs to do better research, because he got it wrong.

Roger Pryor was actually at Fort Sumter, just prior to being on shore
when the first shells were fired. Although he became a General in the
Confederacy, he ended his life as a respected lawyer in New York, where
he and his family relocated after the war.
LNC
2008-02-07 18:54:10 UTC
Post by Old Movie Fan
[...]
Looks like I can pick this up on eBay for around $6, total, or, if you
want to sell me your copy, I'd be interested in talking about it.

LNC
b***@aol.com
2008-02-09 16:57:14 UTC
Post by LNC
[...]
LNC- Hide quoted text -
Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll keep my copy. You might also
find it at amazon.com.
I'm always interested in discussing this period, and some of the
personal accounts are a good reference. I think I only paid a few
dollars for imy copy along with two other books that I tossed before
finishing.