Team of Rivals
LNC
2007-04-19 19:57:28 UTC
Just finished it and liked it quite a bit. Goodman makes Seward and
Stanton look pretty good--particularly compared with Chase, who comes
off as shallow and consistently self-serving.

Anybody else get a chance to read it and what did you think?

LNC
Old Movie Fan
2007-04-19 22:06:46 UTC
I have the audio version of this, read by Richard Thomas (and an
introduction by Doris Kearns Goodwin). I began listening to it last
January. I found that I was really able to absorb the material by doing
this, and it made my long drives pleasant. Thomas did a very good job
reading it without being dramatical.
I liked it very much, perhaps even more as it was my first experience
at listening to a book while driving. I always listened while alone and
the play time is listed at nine and a half hours.
One thing that I learned to appreciate was if I was surprised by, or
impressed by something, I could simply note the track number and easily
find it for a second listen.
It was after listening to this, that I began reading "Abraham Lincoln"
in ernest. Many of the same points and so much more was contained in
this book as well.
As mentioned here before, I do have a detailed summery available on
"Abraham Lincoln."

Rich
LNC
2007-04-20 00:21:52 UTC
Post by Old Movie Fan
[...]
Sandberg's "Lincoln?" That was the first Lincoln work I read and it got
me started as a fan. Sure, I'd enjoy looking over your summary.

LNC
b***@aol.com
2007-04-21 14:36:25 UTC
Post by LNC
[...]
LNC- Hide quoted text -
I sent this directly to you recently since I dislike posting items
that are much too long for a quick read. Please let me know if you
received it, especially since this is not a review of Sandberg's book.

Rich
r***@att.net